Saturday, November 27, 2010

Cyrus II the Great, King of Persia:

Cyrus
II the Great, King of Persia:



81st
great-grandfather











Cyrus the GreatCyrus
is not only the founder of the Persian Empire, but for the Jews the
liberator who freed them from Babylonian slavery. He even financed the
rebuilding of the temple. Why? Cyrus was himself a monotheist - a Zoroastrian
- believing in one, eternal, beneficent being. In the Cyrus-cylinder
in the British Museum our 81st great-grandfather writes: "I Cyrus,
the king of the world....I gathered all their people and led them back
to their abodes.....and the gods....at the order of Marduk, the great
lord, I had them installed in joy in their sanctuaries."

 


Cyrus the GreatIn
the Book of Ezra 1: 1-4 the Scribe quotes Cyrus saying with almost
the same god fearing words: "The Lord, the God of Heaven, has
given me all the kingdoms of the earth, and he has charged me to build
him a house at Jerusalem."





From here the
line follows the many Armenian lines in my family
tree


 


No comments: